Mrs. Malphy's Taste of Books

Monday, January 9, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 1/9/2012



This past week was my first week back to school after Christmas Break and my #bookaday challenge on Twitter.  I'm sorry to say that my reading definitely slowed down this week.  It's amazing how work, school and family commitments can get in the way of our reading! :-)

While I wasn't able to read as much as I wanted to, I was able to finish up a great read, Amelia Lost.  Wow!  I'm not normally a lover of non-fiction reads, but this one kept my attention from start to finish.  I love how the author alternated chapters with information from the day she went missing and then back to her biography.  I felt like I knew quite a bit about Amelia before reading the book, but I definitely learned a lot more!  This book even made me want to find out other information about her, so I figure if it got me interested in the subject, this book definitely did its job!



Seeing as I'm participating in the Caldecott Medal Challenge called #nerdcott on Twitter, I figured it would be a great week to start getting my hands on those Caldecott Medal and Honor Books that I haven't seen/read before.  I had to do quite a bit of reserving at the public library, but it has been interesting to compare books that won many years ago to some of those most recent wins.  I must say that I'm partial to those newer titles.  For some of the books that I have read, I wonder if there were very slim pickings the year this or that title won the award as the illustrations really weren't anything that special.  Some of those that I've read this week include the following:




This week I'll be concentrating again on the #nercott challenge with more Caldecott winners due to arrive for me.  The books I plan on reading this week include but are not limited to:








No comments:

Post a Comment