Mrs. Malphy's Taste of Books

Monday, January 16, 2012

And Our Next Read Is...

My 6th grade book club met today and discussed the book Esperanza Rising as the students just finished it up over the weekend.  Most students really enjoyed this book and I must admit, we had some great discussions on this novel.

While I was looking forward to today's discussion, I was most excited to see what the girls would choose for their next read!  Last week at our meeting, they were tossing around such titles as Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment, It's Raining Cupcakes and Al Capone Does My Shirts.  I gave little book talks on all the books and told the girls to take a week to think it over & we'd talk about it this week.

Well, after much debate, the girls decided on a title and our next read is...Al Capone Does My Shirts!  I'm so happy that the girls chose this title because it really is a great book.  I have read it numerous times and even though I know how everything is going to turn out in the end, this book never gets old for me.  Characters like Piper, Moose and Natalie are ones that I've never forgotten since my first read of the story.  They are characters that resonated with me and I'm hoping the same for my students.

We have our next meeting on Wednesday and I'm so excited to hear what the girls have to say about the book.  I have already had one student comment tonight on our Edmodo site that she really loves the book, so that's great to hear!  I'm hoping we can arrange a Skype visit with author Gennifer Choldenko as that would be a great experience for my girls to hear how she chose this topic to write about, how she came up with the ideas for the characters used and so many other things.  Connecting with authors is a great way to promote reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment