Mrs. Malphy's Taste of Books

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Miss Brooks Loves Books...And I Don't!

Today we welcomed back the students of Kickapoo Area Schools and that meant the Library was open for business and I was so excited about that!  I had a lot of new books to choose from in picking my readings for today with my 1st and 2nd graders but I settled on a a great one, Miss Brooks Loves Books...And I Don't!  This is the story of a 1st grader who just doesn't share her librarian's passion for books.  The little girl has never found a book that has been quite right for her until she discovers the book Shrek.  It's amazing to see kids connect with books like the little girl in our story did.

It has been awhile since I have worked with 1st and 2nd graders and their enthusiasm is catching!  I introduced them to our Read S'more Books! Reading Challenge and I am astounded at the number of students who want to participate!  I'm challenging the entire elementary to read 500 books during the first two months of school.  I asked the students if they thought we could reach our goal and they overwhelmingly said, "Yes!"  This was great to hear!  The books were just flying off the shelves after I told them about the challenge.

I will keep everyone updated on the challenge and all the books that our students love...just like their librarian, Mrs. Malphy!

No comments:

Post a Comment