Mrs. Malphy's Taste of Books

Monday, July 23, 2018

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 7/23/2018


Now that we have been back from vacation for a week, I was able to concentrate more on my TBR pile that seems to have overtaken our kitchen table and my bedside nightstand! I'm really enjoying my summer reading this year as I'm getting to select titles that friends have recommended be it in person or those I follow online.

Graphic novels are an area I've been trying to concentrate on this summer as my students love them and I want to be able to recommend more titles to them in this area. I was able to complete two graphic novels in the past week or so and I must say, I enjoyed them both!


Last Things by Marissa Moss was a beautiful graphic novel about family, love, loss and the ALS that took the life of the author/illustrator's husband Harvey. As a mom, I could relate to this story in so many ways. At the time this story takes place, Marissa's boys were about the same age as my boys are right now. I couldn't imagine going through what this family did! There were many tears shed in the reading of this book. I couldn't put it down!  It's such a great read!


Mighty Jack by Ben Hatke was a great adventure story! It's a take on the familiar tale of Jack and the Beanstalk but this story takes place in a garden with some very large and unusual plants. I will be recommending this one to those readers looking for a quick and easy read with a lot of adventure.

In addition to the graphic novels, I was able to read some picture books this week that I definitely plan to read with my elementary students once school starts in September.


As soon as I read All Are Welcome by Alexandra Penfold, I sent an email to my elementary principal and asked if we could read this story together on the first day of school to our elementary student body! I love the message of this book that everyone is welcome at this school and that's a message we want to convey with our students. 


Ryan T. Higgins is one of my favorite author/illustrators.  His book Be Quiet! is one of my must-read books every school year. In this new book, We Don't Eat Our Classmates, we have a little dinosaur who must learn that with going to school, she cannot eat her classmates! It is a difficult to learn, but one that is necessary. :-)


Finally, I read Drawn Together by Minh Le and Dan Santat. In this book a young boy is dropped off at his grandfather's for the day and you can tell by the look on his face that this really isn't where he wants to be. Grandpa doesn't speak the boy's language and it's relatively difficult to communicate until art supplies are brought out and they both start drawing together. This is a great story of two worlds coming together through a shared activity!



No comments:

Post a Comment